RPG Forums Online

OoC appears really unpopular. Should I move my thread?

This guild is for all the new members to hang out and get to know the site. The mods and members are happy to help get you started in RPs and help you feel welcome on this site.

Moderators: Duisternis, Train_of_Thought, Shewolf13, Sammy

Avianmosquito
Traveller
Traveller

OoC appears really unpopular. Should I move my thread?

Postby Avianmosquito » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:42 am

I have two play by posts in the OoC section of the modern fantasy forum, which can be found in the links below. One has recieved very little attention and the other none. I was wondering if I should move my threads to a different location, and if so, where should I move them to?

http://rpgforumsonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40319
http://rpgforumsonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40427
There's a very fine line between not listening, and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life. -Leonard Churh, Red vs. Blue
Unknown Assassin
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby Unknown Assassin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:11 am

Your first one has 4 pages of posts which is pretty good. I would not say they are really unpopular.

The type of roleplay you are going for is more DnD based which requires a massive amount of reading, understanding, stats, tracking stats and such. Some people will dig it big time, and I'd say you found them or perhaps they found you. But the bulk of the community generally find that just too complicated. (Detailed and complicated are notably different)

I speak from personal experience, I often find it hard to make a character that would fit in with the constructed idea the GM of such games wants. I also don't personally sign up for such roleplays as I find them too restrictive on creativity. But that is my personal opinion.

Your rule set is huge, which is fine but most people won't invest that much time to read and understand it all as they have no idea if the roleplay will run a decent distance, that would make the time worth it or if it will just flop. On a personal level, I am not a great fan of DnD based games via forums but that is just a personal thing.

Much like DnD you need a small, dedicated group. And I don't doubt that will be hard to find. Just like you don't DnD with just anyone in real life.

I wish you the best of luck, but moving your threads won't change anything.

Cheers,
UA.
<center>Image
Thx Kotorchix!
| I only glance over RPGFO occasionally so contact me via PM, Email or Skype |</center>
Avianmosquito
Traveller
Traveller

Postby Avianmosquito » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:53 am

Unknown Assassin wrote:Your first one has 4 pages of posts which is pretty good. I would not say they are really unpopular.

The issue is that it died quickly because we only had two people. If we had even a single extra person, we could have kept going without him. That was the actual gameplay thread, complete with every decision, both IC interactions and OoC commentary, die rolls and status summaries. It running for four pages isn't as much as it sounds.

The type of roleplay you are going for is more DnD based which requires a massive amount of reading, understanding, stats, tracking stats and such. Some people will dig it big time, and I'd say you found them or perhaps they found you. But the bulk of the community generally find that just too complicated. (Detailed and complicated are notably different)

Well, I found three. But two vanished from the forum completely before we got there and the third vanished in the middle of the game. I checked for a while afterwards, they didn't come back online. I have no idea what happened to them, but that's not the point. The point is there weren't enough people to keep going when a couple dissapeared. Normally, when somebody drops out of a campaign I just write their character out of the story and keep going. I couldn't do that here, because that would leave just my two characters and there's no point to running these campaigns with just myself and the voices in my head.

I speak from personal experience, I often find it hard to make a character that would fit in with the constructed idea the GM of such games wants. I also don't personally sign up for such roleplays as I find them too restrictive on creativity. But that is my personal opinion.

If you'd notice, I had no such restriction. I told the guy that asked "anybody." I meant it. I honestly hated the character JimProfit came up with, but I didn't object and I didn't try to change the concept. I let the players do what they want, and let the campaign play out however they want it to. That's always who I've been as a DM. My old group didn't like having me as a DM because they felt I was too soft on them, (friggin' munchkins...) not because I was stiff or restrictive.

Your rule set is huge, which is fine but most people won't invest that much time to read and understand it all as they have no idea if the roleplay will run a decent distance, that would make the time worth it or if it will just flop. On a personal level, I am not a great fan of DnD based games via forums but that is just a personal thing.

If they joined, it wouldn't flop. As long as there is a DM and a player, a game can continue. And in a part of the forum with more traffic, I'd be much more likely to find people willing to test the ruleset.

Much like DnD you need a small, dedicated group. And I don't doubt that will be hard to find. Just like you don't DnD with just anyone in real life.

Actually, I've done exactly that. I've brought in players I'd only met in passing on their word that they'd played D&D before. I've been starved for campaigns for years and since I moved out of the city I couldn't find a group. I wasn't DM in any of those, but that doesn't change the fact that I was playing D&D with total strangers.

I wish you the best of luck, but moving your threads won't change anything.

Cheers,
UA.

More people would increase the odds. Just because the odds of any single reader joining wouldn't improve doesn't mean that more readers wouldn't increase the odds of finding enough to run with. And I'm trying to bring in people I know as we speak, so I wanted a location where I could get enough people to make the campaign interesting once they get here or get it running anyway if they don't show.
There's a very fine line between not listening, and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life. -Leonard Churh, Red vs. Blue
Shewolf13

Postby Shewolf13 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:26 am

About the only other place you MIGHT be able to move it, is to the Non-genre specific OOC, though if you are sure of the genre they are going into, then as UA said, it might not help.

A DnD system is a bit difficult to run on a forum, mainly because it can move slow, but I do know there are ones that make it on the boards. I wouldn't give up just yet, give it more time. This is also a slow time of year, with the holidays coming and many are going through midterms or finals if they are in school. You can bump your topics once a day, to keep them fresh, ok?
Sig by Wadj!
Hey guys! Vote for the Quarterly Quill Awards!
Avianmosquito
Traveller
Traveller

Postby Avianmosquito » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:29 am

Shewolf13 wrote:About the only other place you MIGHT be able to move it, is to the Non-genre specific OOC, though if you are sure of the genre they are going into, then as UA said, it might not help.

A DnD system is a bit difficult to run on a forum, mainly because it can move slow, but I do know there are ones that make it on the boards. I wouldn't give up just yet, give it more time. This is also a slow time of year, with the holidays coming and many are going through midterms or finals if they are in school. You can bump your topics once a day, to keep them fresh, ok?

Well, the setting has modern, science fiction and traditional fantasy. (And a few others.) Each realm is large enough for multiple genres, and there are so many realms it'd be hard to find one without at least those three. So since it can do it all, does that qualify the system for Non-Genre Specific OoC? Or should it stay in modern because all my campaign ideas in the near future are in Midgard and more specifically on Earth, which uses a modern fantasy setting? Should I spread my campaigns around more to appeal to wider audiences? Because at the moment I'm cramming them all on Earth until the conversion wars are over. (Or at least until the slow music starts and Charlie stops dancing the Foxtrot.)

How much more active does the forum get? Do you play D&D, or any similar systems? Does anyone ever finish a campaign, or is that an unreasonable expectation? Who do I have to blow to get a proper playtest? (No, really. Doesn't matter what for, I can never get one.)
Shewolf13

Postby Shewolf13 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:38 am

Certain times of the year, the forum can get pretty active. Now is when it slows down a bit, unfortunately.

Yes, I play DnD, at least 3 different editions, I also have dabbled in Dark Heresy and I play Mutants and Masterminds. One thing I've noticed about using any kind of system with a play by post style of play is that it takes longer. So anything will be slower moving. As far as a playtest, might wanna start out with something smaller, then see how it goes.

But I would say if you are going to have a bunch of different genres, it could go in the Non-specific genre OOC. If ya wanna drop me a PM, I'll try to help you further.

Sig by Wadj!

Avianmosquito
Traveller
Traveller

Postby Avianmosquito » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:23 am

Shewolf13 wrote:Certain times of the year, the forum can get pretty active. Now is when it slows down a bit, unfortunately.

Yes, I play DnD, at least 3 different editions, I also have dabbled in Dark Heresy and I play Mutants and Masterminds. One thing I've noticed about using any kind of system with a play by post style of play is that it takes longer. So anything will be slower moving. As far as a playtest, might wanna start out with something smaller, then see how it goes.

But I would say if you are going to have a bunch of different genres, it could go in the Non-specific genre OOC. If ya wanna drop me a PM, I'll try to help you further.

Well, I'll copy it over to the other OoC and hope for a bite. As for "smaller," I think I might be able to convert all my resources to D&D 3.5e, but then I wouldn't be able to test this ruleset, which I put a lot of time into.
Shewolf13

Postby Shewolf13 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:27 am

Don't give up on it quite yet. I'll be busy the next few days cause I have relatives coming from the West Coast. But let me look it over and I'll see if I can't find one or two others to check it out. Just to let you know, I'm dismal with remembering rules XD No matter how much I play something, I still need to be reminded. But I'll look it over, but probably not till next week. You'l probably need to remind me.

Sig by Wadj!

darkling
Lord of dusk

Postby darkling » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:34 am

To put in my two cents. Wolf has it right, as an avid player of such games, and just a writer in general. I can say without a doubt that games with systems almost never work via forums. Don't believe my credentials? I'm running thee M&M campaigns, I'm the go to guy for D&D rulings in my group, I can piratically recite the rules for the Amber Diceless and Mouse Guard RPGs from memory, I've dabbled with more games than I can remember to mention, and I'm currently on page sixteen of a story I'm writin' for my adoptive-but-not-officially sissy Jess, A.K.A. the shewolf:dark goddess of RPGFO which I started all of three days ago.

My experience on these matters thus proven if you want a place for a game with a hard and fast rule structure... this is not the place for you. I haven't read everywhere but to my knowledge there are only two games on the site with an actual system that are still active Gensokyo Quest, run by my man Dragonexx which is still fairly new, and temple of elemental evil which only pretends to use a system.

A better choice of forum might be Giant in the Playground, or if you want advice on a place to take it the Gaming Den. Bear in mind that if you do go to the Gaming Den that they are at best unreasonably cruel. If you show them your game they will likely tear it to shreds. Then again the Den's ranks know their stuff, so if they do, then it could really help you improve.

Anyway the point is that those sites are places that already serve as a gathering place for people who like games with systems so the interest will be higher. By and large this is a freeform and creative writing forum. So it follows that many people here want a more laid back, relaxed, experience as opposed to the rigor of having a complex system of conflict resolution in place.

I'm not saying you should leave, this is a great place, and heck, I love freeform games, they're plenty of fun. But don't look to set the world on fire with any big complex systems. Most freeform games here die in one to two pages, heck many never make it to the IC, and as I've said those are allot more accessible and have more interest concentrated here. Still, stiff upper lip and all that. You'll never make it if you don't keep powering along.

Return to “Newbie Support Guild”