RPG Forums Online

[NSG] First Impressions

This guild is for all the new members to hang out and get to know the site. The mods and members are happy to help get you started in RPs and help you feel welcome on this site.

Moderators: Duisternis, Train_of_Thought, Shewolf13, Sammy

Sammy

[NSG] First Impressions

Postby Sammy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:07 pm

This thread is aimed directly at all of our newer members but if the rest of you would like to share your first impressions of RPGFO (however long ago that was!), that would be great.

Hopefully this will be a good talking point AND potentially give us some feedback on the site and the way in which we greet new members.

So! What are/were your first impressions of RPGFO?
<center>

Fancy a drink? Drop by The Blue Planet - we're always open!
AtreusCore
Winston Churchill

Postby AtreusCore » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Wow, that was quite long ago. x.x I think that I first found RPGFO when I was looking for a website for help with my general writing. I had no idea what RPing really is, but I caught the drift quickly, and joined a few low-quality ones. I really liked the site, but I think I was a bit shy to try joining all the articulate, higher-quality RPs. :P It was always fun, though, whoever I RPed with, and it definitely helped with my general writing, in the very end. :]

Big thanks to Gid for the set! :D
Shewolf13

Postby Shewolf13 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Oh my... Hm, well, when I first found RPGFO, I was a bit disheartened and disillusioned because the other RP sites I had found just didn't compare to the site that I had first cut my roleplaying teeth on, so to speak. But once I did some lurking around the site, though it had a slightly different set up than what I was used to, I quickly fell in love, especially with how helpful and friendly everyone was ^^
Sig by Wadj!
Hey guys! Vote for the Quarterly Quill Awards!
darkling
Lord of dusk

Postby darkling » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:02 am

My first impression... I was... younger, and, if I recall, had just been introduced to role playing by my sisters then boyfriend. So I did me a google search and this site came up so I tried it. Being me and therefore not very loquacious or friendly, I didn't engage much, but I found the forum quite... comfortable, a nice, quiet, place to just sit and breath for a while.
schizophrenicgamer
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby schizophrenicgamer » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:10 am

It started off nice until i entered a RP thread... granted i wasn't aware and didn't know you HAD to read the OOC all the way through (nobody bothered to tell me. I didn't read the rules cause i'm a guy and like to be independent.) So i saw on the OOC once that i did something wrong so i thought i'd fixed it... guess again... so i tried to fix it... didn't know there were two people telling me something was wrong... So one of them, (i won't mention any names... although i could invent some for him to post here. Wigged out on me and acted completely childish, So i spent the whole day going through the OOC like 15 pages of thread, i reread them once just to make sure they were kosher and i wasn't unaware of any part of the storyline... I just finished fixing my CS... which they said wasn't correct because i wanted my history a secret and i wanted to unveil it as the story progresses... but no... people had to have it their way. So i guess that there are some elements of RPing in the site but the rest seems like my way or the high way... it isn't to welcoming. I may be a noob at forums like this but i write stories down on actual paper and i could if i wanted to publish some of my work... I just think that if you say in your OOC to create a BIO state if you can be cryptic or not cause otherwise your gonna piss the wrong people off... I ain't upset, mad, or tearful i'm just griping about the noob support... this is WOW or Guild Wars 2 you aren't racing to get the rare Artifact Sword in the 5 mn dungeon that your a few seconds late getting to... who cares if the thread gets slowed down for half a day... have ful get to know other people instead of shunning people away...
Train_of_Thought

Postby Train_of_Thought » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:12 am

When I saw this, I got a little disheartened- cause honestly this isn't what the forum is like as a whole and, as a moderator, I personally want you to know that we, as members of the forum staff, have seen and discussed your issue to great length. We agree, you were shunned instead of being helped by the other forum members. We've also taken action on that and Schizo I want you to know that should this EVER happen again, don't hesitate to PM any of us.

RPGFO does not condone the actions that lead to this. We are a community and we want to show you that we're here for support and to lend a hand.
Last edited by Train_of_Thought on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
<center>
Moderator of most things...
</center>
schizophrenicgamer
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby schizophrenicgamer » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:32 am

i appreciate it... although i'm not sure it'll work. Some people aren't as vocal about things that shouldn't be done to them. Their afraid of getting black-listed or whatever...
Thx Libitinarius
"Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith first. The trust part comes later."

I am the blank poster! EPICNESS!
schizophrenicgamer
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby schizophrenicgamer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Strike two...

Once again some people on this site show their superfluous attitudes towards me, for reasons i DON"T unsderstand this time...

One more and i'm gone...

Thx Libitinarius

Duisternis
Global Mod

Postby Duisternis » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:20 am

Schizo, please do not hesitate to message a moderator with your concerns. The last thing that we want you to feel here is unwelcome, and if there is anything that we can do to remedy the situation, let us know.
<center>Image
And the walls kept tumbling down in the city that we love.
Grey clouds roll over the hills, bringing darkness from above.

Stunning Set By Chrissy
schizophrenicgamer
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby schizophrenicgamer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:39 am

I have... to both crosshade and shewolf... maybe there should be an ettiquette thread or something...

Thx Libitinarius

LunaPhinx
Traveller
Traveller

Postby LunaPhinx » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:03 am

Some people are just pa-toots! Big ol' pa-toots! the forum as a whole from what I've experienced is lovely, maybe you should branch out to other RP's. :) There are plenty of nicer people!

My first impression was just the general fairness and well balance the site has. Still here so first impression was good!
schizophrenicgamer
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby schizophrenicgamer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:06 am

I'm in a RP on each type of RP... so far traditional fantasy is a scratch... one of them is gone gotta look for a new one... and a and another in Modern fantasy... i'm in a new one on that site :) Eh... keep on trucking... 98% of this site is awesome...

Thx Libitinarius

Train_of_Thought

Postby Train_of_Thought » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:45 pm

If it helps anyone, I was super introverted when I came to this forum. Sure, there are people you're going to disagree with, I know I have on many occasions. But find the one's that keep you happy and have your back- surround yourself with them because they'll be like family in time.
<center>

Moderator of most things...

</center>
Gottlieb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Gottlieb » Fri May 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Just joined today. First impressions so far:

Friendly, supportive environment. Clearly mods and members are very open and welcoming rather than "clique"ish. Seems low-drama, which is nice.

I like that you can see the players' ages so you've got an idea of who you're working with. (Reminds one to have extra grace for younger writers, helps one seek out similar-age players)

Newbie FAQ was easy to find and had all the info I need about forum basics.

VERY relaxed rules (Are there any rules?) I'm used to RP forums that are centered around one specific fandom or world setting, so I'm used to there being more guidelines in both setting and forum rules. This could be good (creative autonomy) or bad (quality control?), but I like the flexibility in theory.

I'm extroverted and comfortable roleplaying enough that I'd like to dive right in, but the RP options are SO open, it's a little hard to get started. I'm used to being railroaded with a concrete system (Create a character profile, get it approved by a mod, post the character profile in such-and-such a place, etc.)

I'll ask my concrete how-to questions in my introduction thread, but I think it might help newbies if you gave at least some general guidelines about getting started. Specifically: are character sheets or profiles required? Where do they go? What sort of content makes a good first post when starting a new thread? (Is this where backstory and setting would go, or would that be in OOC forum?)

You could remind players that it's all just suggestions, but having a checklist of things a good opening post contains could help some newbs get started. For instance, in the Introduce Yourself thread, there's even suggestions for what sort of talking points a newb can use to introduce themselves. Helpful for the socially timid! Something similar about building blocks for a good thread starter would be ideal.

Thanks for being so open to feedback.
ChickDM
Explorer
Explorer

Postby ChickDM » Fri May 03, 2013 9:35 pm

There ARE rules, but they refer to conduct, not specific game formats or styles.That's the great thing about being here. You can do whatever you want in your thread, just be polite about it.

House rules include:
Always read the OOC first.
Don't just start posting in an IC thread, unless invited.
PM people if you're afraid of making a public mistake.

Some games demand an in depth CS. Others just want a physical description of your charry. Its up to the individual Host/DM.

Welcome to the site!

I found things to be quite open and fun from the beginning. I've had my own rants and spats, but no more so than when I play face to face.

Everyone has their own ideas and styles, so find a group, join in, if it doesn't work out, find another.... And another....

And also, the MODS are awesome. If you ever have a question or concern, they are willing to listen.
<a href="http://rpgforumsonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34388">The Temple of Elemental Evil</a> - <a href="http://rpgforumsonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1277010">(OOC)</a>
<a href="http://rpgforumsonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41463">MERCENARIES WANTED</a> - <a href="http://rpgforumsonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41418">(OOC)</a>
Wessicht
Layman
Layman

Postby Wessicht » Thu May 30, 2013 5:43 pm

My first impression of the forum was yesterday, when I joined, I believe. To be perfectly honest, the forum seems very friendly. I'm not really concerned about rude behavior or being shunned. After all, I don't think there is an organization on earth that doesn't have its share of rude people.

In fact, I've kind of found that no matter what I do, there will be somebody that doesn't like it, and no matter where I go, there will be someone who doesn't care about me, or ignores me, or doesn't like me. There's nothing wrong with that,and perfection is overrated(and impossible, tambien), anyway.

But, being honest and open on the forum seem to have gotten good results, and moderators I have met are excellent and truly above par. I can tell that there are a great deal of people on this forum that are passionate about it, and that wish to make this forum succeed, and that counts for a lot in my book.

So I joined, and so far I don't have any complaints. And even if I did, complaining isn't very useful. It's much better to just see what can be done in the time it can be done it. :D
Shewolf13

Postby Shewolf13 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Welcome to RPGFO ^^ If you need help finding an RP you're interested in, don't hesitate to PM me or any of the other NSG Mods ^^

Sig by Wadj!

Wessicht
Layman
Layman

Postby Wessicht » Thu May 30, 2013 8:35 pm

Thank you, Shewolf! I think I'll be settling in with the Heaven's Needle Role Play for a bit, just to get my sea legs, so to speak.

I'll definitely take you up on your offer if I need to. :)
"When you're rich, you're not crazy. You're eccentric."
Shewolf13

Postby Shewolf13 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:23 am

Glad to hear it ^^

Sig by Wadj!

Sammy

Postby Sammy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:34 pm

Really enjoy reading these, keep 'em coming guys! :)
<center>

Fancy a drink? Drop by The Blue Planet - we're always open!
Dendaron
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Dendaron » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:54 am

Hello everyone.

Just trying to get active on the boards and say hello to everyone.

My first impression of the site was I thought it was pretty cool. I like the fact of text based RPG on forums but find sometimes they go really slow. I have never participated in one personally. I was more of a D&D type of person. I simply enjoy reading all the rpg threads. I think there are some REALLY talented and creative people here.

I also enjoy the ADR RPG game. I used to run a site years back that had it on it.

Over all impression, great site!
Shewolf13

Postby Shewolf13 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:15 am

Welcome to RPGFO, my dear ^^ If there is anything you need, don't hesitate to PM me or any of our mods. Our regular members are very helpful too and most everyone would be happy to answer questions.

Sig by Wadj!

bigmac62
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bigmac62 » Tue May 27, 2014 3:35 am

Well, being a complete newbie (I have never, ever done this kind of thing before), my first impression was "This is going to be a lot of fun." :-)

I had a couple of false starts, but I've kind of settled in, and got into a really good 1x1 RPG which should be loads of fun, and I can't wait to see where it goes. I stand by my original statement... this is a lot of fun. :)
Juicesir
Layman
Layman

Postby Juicesir » Tue May 27, 2014 3:38 am

Only a couple posts in, but thus far everyone has been warm, welcoming, and helpful. In the RP that I'm attempting to submit a character for many other players have also just stepped up and contributed their opinions. It's very refreshing, to have a group who gives input about your character and not just the GM.

Return to “Newbie Support Guild”