RPG Forums Online

Quick reference for sentence structure feedback(2 sent max)?

This guild is for all the new members to hang out and get to know the site. The mods and members are happy to help get you started in RPs and help you feel welcome on this site.

Moderators: Duisternis, Train_of_Thought, Shewolf13, Sammy

The following ideas are:

Definitely something I would find useful!
50%
Sounds like a plan that would need further discussion.
50%
Not realistic in terms of maintenance.
No votes

Total votes: 2
Libitinarius
Scout
Scout

Quick reference for sentence structure feedback(2 sent max)?

Postby Libitinarius » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:53 am

I think it would be extremely useful to create a thread where people can ask how they're going wrong with a particular sentence. Put a 2 sentence max per-post, so either mods/members don't get overwhelmed assisting others? I don't know... just a thought, at least I'd be willing to take a crack at helping maintain a thread like this, since I notice most people are too shy to ask for advice.

A member could give an example of 1-2 sentences they are struggling with rather it be grammatical errors, or general help in optimizing sentence flow? I think this is part of the reason mentors services are neglected, because mentors start their own "section" instead of collectively working as a team (not in all areas, just mentoring section help desk or people offering 1x1 advice).

I could make a separate thread for subcoordinators A-Z giving examples of 3 things: Tense, Ways the word can be used (can you end a sentence with that? No it's a preposition) , What to avoid with a word (Like starting a sentence with the word "That" usually implies it should be short and without pause of additional commas).

The key is to keep it short, with a format of problem: blah blah... to solution: blah blah... that way other members can reference and save time of re-answering same questions. I myself learn how to write better from multiple examples.
Shewolf13

Postby Shewolf13 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:56 pm

Hm... not sure about the logistics of this, but I do like the idea. We'll have to talk about it, and see what we could come up with.
Sig by Wadj!
Hey guys! Vote for the Quarterly Quill Awards!
Libitinarius
Scout
Scout

Postby Libitinarius » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:56 am

Thanks for the reply back Wolfie.

Since I am not as skilled in grammar as some on the site, my idea was to use literature as a reference to those I attempt to help.

Right now I have three books to use as a reference:

Warriner's English Grammar and Composition, Dictionary of Problem words & Expressions by Harry shaw and a Sixth Edition Publication Manual for the American Psychological Association Publication Manual writing book.

So, hypothetically a member would come and pose a question regarding a sentence. I would answer their question by posting a re-arrangement of the sentence that would read grammatically correct, or tell them the problem that the sentence presents.

For example:
Here's an example, here's another example, here's a third example.

This is not, in fact, a sentence. How can you tell? Try substituting a period for the commas.
Here's an example. Here's another example. Here's a third example.

Notice that each sentence stands alone just perfectly. If you can substitute a period for a comma, then something is wrong with the comma. Here's an example in the reverse, using the sentence I just wrote: "If you can substitute a period for a comma, then something is wrong with the comma." Try the replacement here:
If you can substitute a period for a comma. Then something is wrong with the comma.

See? Neither of those two sentences stands alone (particularly the first). That's a good indication that you do need a comma!
Libitinarius
Scout
Scout

Postby Libitinarius » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:24 am

Sorry for the double post, I would also like to point out how I intend to organize this:

Firstly, if the thread becomes too bogged down with questions, I would implement a cue or line numbering the order of members that will be assisted in order.

1. member
2. member
3. member

I would get to the first person in line, and edit the list as I assist people.

Secondly, I would create an archive thread of common problem words and answers people can refer to BEFORE they ask repetitive questions.

I would identify the problem of the sentence by assigning it to a "word" like, "Run on sentence"--examples of this would appear under R.

If there comes a person I am unable to answer, I would ask for help from one of the members who I consider to be superior in grammar. Of course, I would need some people who would be willing to assist if such a time ever comes.
Shewolf13

Postby Shewolf13 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:30 am

Let me talk to some of the other mods, Lib. I'm not sure it would work quite like you think it would. But let us talk about it, ok? I'll get back to you ^^

Sig by Wadj!

Hey guys! Vote for the Quarterly Quill Awards!

Return to “Newbie Support Guild”