RPG Forums Online

Roleplay Tipbook

A collective resource for students including links to helpful ideas, great tips, writings by various sources including our instructors, lectures and seminars.
Alias
Explorer
Explorer

Postby Alias » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:31 pm

Several suggestions from cdawgg. She can't seem to reply to this topic, so if anyone is also having that problem, please PM me. I'll be adding these to the long list over Thanksgiving, along with a bit of reorganizing (the first section is getting a bit long :D)

• Repetition, repetition, repetition. To avoid using the same words repeatedly, try to use synonyms or find a way to use the repeated word to benefit both causes. In any case, try not to use the same word more than necessary unless otherwise unavoidable. The same goes for pronouns.
    -cdawgg
  • Less IS more. Although 'fluffing' is good, don't go into extreme depth on the object of focus. If a sentence is drowned in description, it often makes that very sentence hard to read and/or understand as well as disrupting the flow of the post.
    -cdawgg
  • Ask for help. If you don't understand what someone had posted; whether it's a word, the wording itself, or if you're unsure of what you can post, you can always ask your fellow RPers for ideas or suggestions. Using resources, such as books, movies, TV shows, etc are also a good source of help.
    -cdawgg
<center>Image</center>
Mickey
Flouncy Queen

Postby Mickey » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:48 pm

Fluid Conversations:
Avoid having conversations split up between posts, because this makes the posts very short and minimizes the fluidity of interactions between the characters. A very good way around this is to work out the posts with conversations over MSN or another Instant Messenger, and only one person types up an actual post, putting an agreed conversation from both characters into it.

^ Terrible wording I know, but this has really increased the quality of my RPing, I reckon ^
ThreadWeaver
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby ThreadWeaver » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:59 am

I may seem new, but trust me when I say that I know a little bit about writing.

The Character Contract: Once you create a character, you are basically writing a contract to both your readers and the character itself. When you create that Personality, you have to keep in mind that it is a completely different person, and if you want to control them properly, you must enter them into scenarios that will have them react the way you want. You can't have the cute adorable character suddenly turn dark at the flip of a hat, because you want them to. If a character is presented with a situation, you have to ask "What would _____ do?", and not "What do I want them to do?" Even if that has them fighting a character you would otherwise agree with.
WhispersShadow
Scout
Scout

Postby WhispersShadow » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:16 am

I am relatively new to this forum (joined Feb. 21, 2009), but I tend to go for the big projects right away... :crosseyes:

Specifically, the first idea I had for a campaign was an adaptation of an idea from a user on the Agora RPG forum. What I created is called Your Nation, Your Rule (YNYR). What I attempted is a player-run RPG world. As the GM, my only job is to moderate the game to prevent God Modding, and to answer any questions posed by players. In fact, early on in the game I had to take a two week hiatus for a trip on which I would have no internet, and without my even asking, two players took up the reins to ensure the world continued to run smoothly. Although this entry is not specifically a tip, I feel that it compliments Pseudonymous's post on the previous page quite well.

What I feel really makes my RP interesting is the style of play. That is, the game has no set storyline, no beginning, and no ending. Players start by writing about their nation, and then can move in any direction they choose. This creates quite a number interesting sub-storylines in the game. One of the most interesting developments that I've noticed is the creation of individual sub-threads. That is, within the main thread, players are posting individual stories that they run from start to finish, which affect only their nations. This creates quite interesting stories, despite being a monologue style.

Now, I apologize if this post sounds like advertising for my thread, but I actually had a legitimate reason for posting this here, although this may not be quite the right thread... I would love some constructive criticism, suggestions, and tips for improving game play. Specifically, I would like to see the world have a united storyline of some kind. as GM, I am running a nation that will eventually come into conflict with most of the world, which I am saving as a later story arc. However, I would like some help coming up with some kind of story arc that I could implement that doesn't directly involve my nation as the protagonist/antagonist, and can hopefully bring most of the world's nations together with each other, instead of against each other.

Thanks for putting up with this strange, convoluted, slightly off-topic post.

P.S.
If anyone is running any kind of similar RP, or would like to, I would be happy to exchange help/ideas.

Return to “Library”