RPG Forums Online

[NSG] RP Origins!

This guild is for all the new members to hang out and get to know the site. The mods and members are happy to help get you started in RPs and help you feel welcome on this site.

Moderators: Duisternis, Train_of_Thought, Shewolf13, Sammy

Sammy

[NSG] RP Origins!

Postby Sammy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:19 pm

Presumably you are all here because of a shared love of writing and/or Roleplay. So how long have you been RP'ing? What sparked your interest in it? Do you have a favourite genre or format for RP? Do you prefer group RP or 1x1s? Where do you get your character ideas from? Do you have pre-made characters you bring to RP settings or do you make a new character for each RP you take part in? How do you go about creating a character concept?

These questions and any more you can think of!
<center>

Fancy a drink? Drop by The Blue Planet - we're always open!
Sammy

Postby Sammy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:04 pm

I'll kick us off then!

I've been RPing for about 7/8 years now, I think. It all started one evening when my PvP WoW server was down and the recommended server was an RP one. Bored and vaguely intrigued, I rolled a Night Elf character. I'd like to say I was instantly drawn into a world of character interaction and character-driven storylines but, in reality, the starter area was full of cybering level 1s running around without any armour on (tended to happen when there were server crashes). Anyway, for some reason I can't quite remember, I stuck around and became drawn into WoW Roleplay. A couple of years after that, during a period of not playing, I found RPGFO after a google search and I've been here on and off ever since!
<center>

Swashbuckler
Layman
Layman

Postby Swashbuckler » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:54 pm

I shall continue thine efforts by making a post mineself.

Sammy wrote:So how long have you been RP'ing?

I've been RPing for three short years. Obviously not as long as many of the people a part of this forum. I recently just started toning down my RPing levels because the forum I help administrate doesn't have the most quality RPers you could imagine.

Sammy wrote:What sparked your interest in it?

My interest was first sparked at the Sonic-based forum as a wee user under the name FrostbittenDeath and was involved in an open RP (I can't remember if there was even a plot outline). I was a pretty newbish RPer because I had never done it before that time, so I under the false impression that I was actually hot stuff. But I wasn't. So I tried again in another RP that revolved around a supernatural high-school. It had a much greater story and a very open world, so that pretty much led me to become a permanent RPer since those very early days.

Sammy wrote:Do you have a favourite genre or format for RP? Do you prefer group RP or 1x1s?

My favorite genre is pretty much dramatic adventure mixed with supernatural elements. I always tend to evoke the most creativity when it comes to those and most of the ones I've been in have been filled with creative people. Honestly, I prefer group RPs because I like to create a story. Bringing different elements to the table from different minds--it's like a round table of people tossing ideas around. There's some good ideas and there's some bad ideas, but overall, it's good brainstorming.

Sammy wrote:Where do you get your character ideas from? Do you have pre-made characters you bring to RP settings or do you make a new character for each RP you take part in? How do you go about creating a character concept?

Most of my character ideas are acquired from books I read, games I play, or movies I watch. For example, I have a pirate character named Sheva DeVost. I came up with her concept after reading and loving the book Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton. Another character I made with bipolar disorder I had gotten from playing the Soul Calibur games. I borrow concepts from things. That's how I grasp the concept for most, if not all, of my characters.

I try to use pre-made characters for RP concepts whenever I can. When I can't or am unable to find a reason to use a character I've already created, I make up new characters for temporary use for the concept.

There we go. I answered each question to the best of my ability. ^^
LadyRinoa
Lady of Shadows

Postby LadyRinoa » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:33 pm

I suppose I can go next :)

How long have you been rping?

I did my first rp back when I was in middle school...12 years ago? Wow....time flies. Anyways it was a simple paper and pencil rp with some friends of mine. We would pass it around during class lol

What sparked your interest in it?

I have always enjoyed writing and the simple paper and pencil writing we did exposed me to the freedom of having multiple minds working together on the same story. Then I found the rp forums on neopets and subjected them all to my noobishness of wolf rps. At that age, I strictly did romance seeking rps, and they had no real substance. It wasn't until I got older and discovered RPGFO on a random search that I discovered the joy of having a well thought out storyline and characters and have been toning my skills ever since, with much help from the other members on this great forum.

Do you have a favourite genre or format for RP? Do you prefer group RP or 1x1s?

My genre preference varies on my mood. I thoroughly enjoy all of the genres, however my skills are not particularly admirable in scifi. As for group or 1x1, I am a fan of both, for different reasons. Some story lines are meant for groups, while others are better with fewer minds. It all depends on the story and what you aim to accomplish in it.

Where do you get your character ideas from? Do you have pre-made characters you bring to RP settings or do you make a new character for each RP you take part in? How do you go about creating a character concept?

My character ideas actually tend to originate with pictures, or a character in a story I have read. Also, the character always tends to evolve and in the end barely resembles the character I started out with. I try to use pre-made characters for RPs however I produce large detailed storylines for each of my made characters and am able to add characters into that storyline for a lot of my rps. However, there are times that a simple character is needed for certain rps. I enjoy creating backstories that evolve as I use the character, and so they will start out with a simple backstory that eventually grows into great detail and almost all of my characters are connected to each other in some way.
<center>
Set made by Me
Shewolf13

Postby Shewolf13 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:26 pm

How long have you been rping?

I've been RPing for... *has to think back* Yeesh... for 12-13 years. Started out with pen and paper in middle school and then quickly went online.

I began to write little stories while in kindergarten and grew to love it. In Middle School, one of my friends liked to write, so we began to write together and she introduced me to RPing and so we did pen and paper play by post format first, then we both found an RP site that we loved. It began as a Legend of Zelda site, then was revamped into a massive persistent original world that I was on, and was co-admin of until it was hacked and destroyed my senior year of high school XD After college, I was looking to get back into it, since I had more time and googled RP forums and RPGFO was the first hit ^^

Do you have a favourite genre or format for RP? Do you prefer group RP or 1x1s?

I pretty much do anything fantasy, though I tend to stick to more mature themes, only because writing for me, is an outlet, so there does tend to be lots of blood and other things. I also enjoy exploring the darker realms, so to speak.

I prefer 1x1's, only because I love to world build and having only one other person makes it a much more collaborative effort. I really enjoy that. Those group RP's I DO join are more of a sand-box style that allows a lot of freedom. Even when I DM a game of my own, I tend to let the other players have a lot of leighway as far as story goes.

Where do you get your character ideas from? Do you have pre-made characters you bring to RP settings or do you make a new character for each RP you take part in? How do you go about creating a character concept?

Characters, more often than not, pop into my head... it could be a name, or it could be a kind of voice that just says, "Do this." As time goes on, the character reveals itself, much as getting to know someone you met for the first time happens. My characters have a mind of their own. They truly are like separate people. *Realizes this makes her sound crazy, but doesn't care* I frequently will have a plan when I write a post... yet, it very rarely goes that way when I begin writing because the characters, which I call my muses, always end up reacting differently or changing how the response goes.

For the most part, there's a new character for every RP, though not necessarily. I have had a couple characters that have... transformed for a certain RP.
Sig by Wadj!
Hey guys! Vote for the Quarterly Quill Awards!
etondmt
Apprentice
Apprentice

new thread!

Postby etondmt » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:15 am

I have a new rp that is in the modern era and has to do with a immortal society that uses humans (which are an endangered species) to harvest enough blood for the city of vampires while there is a war with the invasion of the werewolves to the north. If anyone is interested you can pm me or just head to the thread and take it from there!
the great one! well..just me...nick!!
Swashbuckler
Layman
Layman

Postby Swashbuckler » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:55 pm

Kinda thought this was about how we got started RPing, how long we've been doing it, and what we like most about it (like an interview process), not really promoting our RP ideas or suggesting ideas for them.

Think you do that in the RP area of the site, not here.
HuntMaster
Mo City Don

Re: [NSG] RP Origins!

Postby HuntMaster » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:37 pm

This! I almost went right by it, xD! Guess this is something of the newer things that have been brought about in my recent absence? I suppose I'll take part, here, since I'm also trying to become a Mentor...

Sammy wrote:So how long have you been RP'ing?

Dear gods, I have been Roleplaying now for almost eighteen years. Maybe nineteen. I know I started coming into the realisation that I had a love of all things written when I was about seven or eight; I just can't remember if I started RolePlaying in that same period, or if it was later on in that year. I know I started online, on AOL, in the Nexud of Rhy'Din, but...AOL was quickly a downhill slide. I moved on to Yahoo for a while, and switched between chats and IMs, but Yahoo's realm (I don't even remember the name of that one, so short was the period of time I stayed there) also died fairly quickly; at least in my opinion, when it - like AOL - was over-run by bots. Shortly after, I started RPing in forums, which lead me to RPGFO in November of '07. I've been loving the site and the family I'm come to gain here ever since!

Sammy wrote:What sparked your interest in it?

Well, I was doing a lot of research online (this was back on AOL 3.0!) And for some reason or another I started looking at the chatrooms. I was people chatting it out as if they were golbins, war heroes, alieans...all sorts of things! It was vaguely intriguing, I thought, and so decided to send an Instant Message to a random person in one of these chatrooms, and the girl I'd happened to IM was very helpful in explaining the mechanics and idea of roleplaying to me.

Sammy wrote:Do you have a favourite genre or format for RP?

Indeed, I have two: Sci-Fi Fantasy and, more-so, Traditional, or Medieval Fantasy

Sammy wrote:Do you prefer group RP or 1x1s?

Personally, it doesn't really matter. It just depends on the situation. If trying to learn the aspects or mind-sets of a player, I like one-pn-ones, because it is easy to set a mood where you can really observe the other player's style. On the other hand, if I'm feeling up to multi-tasking, I like group RPs, because there is a lot of interaction involved there.

Sammy wrote:Where do you get your character ideas from?

I get my character ideas from my mind, of course! Depending on the RP I am participating in, or the story I'm writing, I develop the character on the spot, accordingly. For some instances of random RPs, I will create a character suggested by another player, just to see if I can play the part.

Sammy wrote:Do you have pre-made characters you bring to RP settings or do you make a new character for each RP you take part in?

I do have some pre-made characters; they come in handy if a plot can be found that calls for them, but most of my characters are specifically designed to an RP.

Sammy wrote:How do you go about creating a character concept?

It depends, really. Sometimes I first come up with the name, then develop the character itself to be according to the plot he or she is about to be thrown into. Other times, I have just a template, and an idea for a bio or personality, and must develop the character accordingly. I always try to balance my characters out in some way or another, though in some cases this can be more difficult than you would think!
<center>Image
-[Director: Refined Gentlemen's Club]-
-[Now Mentoring!]-
</center>
Vegas123
Adept Adventurer
Adept Adventurer

Postby Vegas123 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:50 pm

So how long have you been RPing?

That is a really good question heh. To be honest, I'm not sure. I started, just like Sammy did, by rolling a character on a World of Warcraft RPing server. I think I might have also been involved with the deviantArt chat-room RPs as well but I'm not entirely sure if I was doing both at the same time. Anyways, I think it was probably either my last or second to last year of high school that I started. I eventually joined a site called 'The Roleplayer's Guild,' which was alright but I've enjoyed this site the most. I feel like my writing has changed so much since I started RPing here and I hope it continues to change. To be honest, writing is more of a hobby for me though I still believe you should strive for excellence in all areas of your life. Lately, I've actually purchased several books about writing and I'm always looking for constructive criticism about my work.

Personally, and this is going to sound nerdy as hell, but I've always loved fantasy. Fantasy books, shows and games were my bread and butter so World of Warcraft was definitely an inevitable occurrence for me. I was drawn into this mythical world of sword-wielding heroes and fire-breathing Dragons to such an extent that I'd mentally compose stories in my head about my characters. I participated in a few WoW RP forum threads but I never felt quite up to snuff. Hell, I still don't feel quite up to snuff. I know I'm getting better, however, and that's what counts. Anyways, that's what sparked my interest. A desire to write about these fantastical worlds with characters who were both like me and yet also unlike me.

Do you have a favorite genre or format for RP? Do you prefer group RPs or 1x1s?

In my personal opinion, I feel like chatrooms are always going to have a place in my heart. Why? Well, they're quick and it's also where I first began to seriously get involved in RPing. On the other hand, I feel like a forum-based format has higher-quality writers despite the endless waiting for posts. Thankfully, most of the threads on here move pretty quickly but not overly so. As a college student, my academic commitments come first but I can usually find time to knock out a post in an hour or two. Probably more like two hours heh. So, I definitely like forum-based RPing better than chatroom but those damned chatrooms will always be there...tempting me with their fast response times. I feel like you also get some pretty deranged people in chatrooms because it takes an actual investment of time and energy to type something out in a forum setting. Of course, I'm sure we have our share of oddballs on this site, as well, but at least they're the fun kind of oddballs and not the 'Oh my god, I'm going to take steel wool to my eyeballs if we don't continue RPing' type of oddballs.

Oh and favorite genres are: medieval fantasy, modern fantasy aaaand...that's about it. I'm starting to get into science fiction, but we'll see. Also, group RPs all the way. I actually don't think I've ever done a 1x1 on here. I might have to try that sometime.

My character ideas come from all over. Sometimes it'll be images I find on the Internet that makes me think this individual would be a pretty cool character. Other times it just comes from reading the GM's 'Interest Check' thread and I have a good idea for a character that would fit into this story. I try not to be that gal who just busts in with some half cyborg half vampire...in a story set in modern-day London. It just doesn't make sense and, to be honest, I detest people like that. You can have an average character and make them special in different ways without going all 'demonic, half-breed, monster slayer man' on everybody. One of the downsides to this approach, however, is the 'Character Sheets.' Dear...sweet...God, I hate 'Character Sheets.' It's partially my fault because I'm incredibly over-descriptive and wordy but they just get so damned tedious after awhile. I like creating the character just not writing down what their personality is like and what their biography is. Frustrating to say the least because I make new characters for every RP I get involved in.

As far as creating a character concept goes, I start off with a basic idea and then I try to come up with ten positive and ten negative attributes about this individual. Nobody is perfect and my characters sure as hell aren't going to be. For the most part, however, I let the character just develop in the RP itself. I won't go so far as to say each character is some sort of separate entity in my head but they definitely have their own personalities. For example, I'm playing a mercenary called Kasia in Atreuscore's 'War of the Grandlake Dukes' thread and she's...a bit unpleasant. She's ruthless, manipulative and obsessed with avenging her husband's demise. On the other hand, I'm also involved in a science fiction thread and I'll be writing for a character that is incredibly sweet. She wants peace at any cost even if that means making a compromise where she gets shafted. Kasia wouldn't give this person the time of day.

Anyways, enough rambling, but I actually quite enjoyed doing this. It's funny to consider where all of these writers first started and how they've all ended up. WoW seems to be a popular starting point for a lot of people and I do occasionally miss roleplaying on there. I just don't want to pay fifteen dollars a month for something I can do for free on here. And people here tend to be more...grounded, for the most part. If I had a nickel for every son of Arthas or Illidan I ran into, well, I'd have a crap ton of nickels.
<b>Current Project:</b> Naganon, Leeandra, and Vandemar in "The Isles of Aradia"
Sammy

Postby Sammy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:43 am

Really enjoyed catching up with these, guys! Really interesting to see where and how everyone started out and then their slow descent into writing/RPing addiction. ;)
<center>

merry123
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby merry123 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:41 am

I will definitely visit this site again because i learned a lot and got very helpful information from your thread. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Newbie Support Guild”