RPG Forums Online

Starting a successful thread!

This guild is for all the new members to hang out and get to know the site. The mods and members are happy to help get you started in RPs and help you feel welcome on this site.

Moderators: Duisternis, Train_of_Thought, Shewolf13, Sammy

Tuto
Apprentice
Apprentice

Starting a successful thread!

Postby Tuto » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:16 pm

Hey, I've noticed only a fraction of proposed RPs seem to be taking off. Its not unexpected but its interesting. Obviously some themes are more popular than others and there's likely to be trends and the like but I was wondering if people might help me put together a quick "Guide" for newbies, and just for people who never seem to come up with stuff that takes off. I just think it could be very useful.

That said there will be a certain irony if this thread goes unnoticed! I guess I will start with a couple of things I have noticed. I'm going to keep it really general so its useful to people new to the site too. And of course, I haven't been around an awful lot recently so folks feel free to correct me!

1. Don't be too restrictive - This an obvious one and I don't see allot of people doing this but its worth noting. Leave people room to play the characters they are going to want too. See: ...

2. Don't build a concept purely around your character - I have seen this a couple of times and too be honest sometimes this doesn't matter and they will take off anyway, I still consider it bad form. In RP everyone is going to consider themselves a main character. Don't make your character crucial to the story. For that matter its probably good practice to make sure the RP can continue if you (or anyone else for that matter) decides to drop out. Obviously sometimes that is GOING to kill the thread but other times a politely worded post in the OOC section or a PM to another player and permission to used your character as an NPC till (s)he's out of the way of the plot is all that is needed to keep the thread going. A thread might be your baby but it belongs to everyone once the game starts, even if you're de facto Captain of the ship. In fact thats good advice right there...

3. You're Captain of the Ship, not a dictator - Another thing I don't see allot but I'm sure it happens. For this to make sense its time for a little history lesson. Basically the Movies have lied to you. Pirate captains were not the unquestioned rulers of their ship. A captain was chosen so in combat there was a clear line of command. It had other perks but Pirate ships during the golden age of the sale were actually democratic and everyone got a vote. This is probably a good model for RP threads. The creator lays the groundwork, sorts out CS templates and deals with disputes, beyond that a thread should allow everyone to have a say. Obviously if there are questions about the setting the creator should be able to give his opinion as it was him who put it together.

4. Vampires, Werewolves, Angels, Anime and Highschool RPs will ALWAYS be popular - Now, this isn't my game of choice but it seems particularly here you will get allot of interest for this sort of thing. While I won't usually go for a generic School of Monsters type roleplay there are ways to sway me, and I am sure this goes for others, these popular threads have allot of potential so try to keep every demographic happy. A few things that would interest me in these things would include;
    A little history for the setting, keep in mind if its real world or not too! When I see this done I often see backgrounds that as generic fantasy before going NOW ITS OUR WORLD TODAY. This really breaks immersion for me, if there's a Magical world along side ours fair enough, but say it specifically and include when the worlds were first traversed and some real world info along side the fantasy world.
    Next, give the monsters some structure; whether you love them or hate them vampires and werewolves saturate our media, keep in mind what you want to do with them and give them a definitive flavour. Vampire the Masquerade and its sequel and associated properties do that perfectly showing different clans and bloodlines with their respective powers and position in the world while always keeping in mind the dark, secretive feeling of the setting. Obviously most of these games lean more towards anime like rosario + vampire and there's nothing wrong with that, but these settings have internal consistency with their creatures. Just saying vampire can mean anything from the original gothic Dracula, to Bella Lugosi's Dracula, to Twilight and all the way back to Carmilla or even the Lamia. Keep that in mind!
    I could go on and on about this one point but the I will make one last point.

5. Tell us the MODE of the story - What sort of story are you trying to tell, sometimes its obvious, other times it might seem obvious but the finished product will be different to how you imagined it. Basically, do you want a Shonen fighting feel to your RP or a gritty Noir feel where a single shot of a gun will likely have dire consequences? Will your vampire game be revelling in the badassery of your vampire characters as they battle rivals without a care for secrecy or will vampires lurk in the shadows, cursing the dawn and manipulating the human flock like pawns in a game of chess with their peers in damnation or will your vampires be cute little girls in Nekomimi or guitar playing every day people who can fly and drink the colour red rather than blood? Will your school/hospital/etc RP cover slice of life aspects like class or surgery or is it just a backdrop for kick ass rollerblading challenges and battles against demons, or just pure slapstick character comedy?

Right. I'm going to stop rambling now, I hope people like what I have started here and neither think I'm trying to tell people how its done or just bore people. Obviously I haven't started a rp here in 6 years so there are some questions I can't answer. I'm hoping this thread really takes off and we all learn something useful from it! (Maybe if the mods like it we could even get it stickied? The skies the limit!)
Libitinarius
Scout
Scout

Postby Libitinarius » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:29 pm

I really like what you've done here. I wanted to ask a general question in terms of plot. You said, tell people what you're aiming for in terms of genre and setting, correct?

In terms of outlining a plot: where's a good balance between "unprepared" and "too prepared"?

Example:
If you fail to prepare at least somewhat -- the plot falls flat on it's face. But if you overly prepare a plot, people get bored/turned off by the walls of text displayed on the sign-ups page. Is there a happy medium everyone can agree upon?

Either way, thanks for sharing. :)
Tuto
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Tuto » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:35 pm

I totally agree, while there's something to be said for brainstorming basics that doesn't really seem all that well here, its better to only post when you have a clear idea of what you want to play. If your struggling to organise, contact a friend or someone who you think would like what you have so far over PM and discuss it there.

Not saying there's a right way or a wrong way but people do seem to act more favourably to stronger concepts in recruitment and its obvious why.
Aya
Global Mod

Postby Aya » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Thanks for this thread, but we already have something more comprehensive in the OOC sections. We can surely add to what we have though.
Tuto
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Tuto » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:14 am

Really? Sorry I did have a look around, I clearly wasn't comprehensive enough myself.
Aya
Global Mod

Postby Aya » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:16 am

Yeah, it's somewhere. We had moved around the sections though so it may be somewhere that isn't obvious anymore. I am looking to add to it though once I find it again so I can add some things that you mentioned to it.
mariashawn
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby mariashawn » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:49 am

Really enjoyed catching up with these, guys! Really interesting to see where and how everyone started out and then their slow descent into writing/RPing addiction. :)
link removed by global
Sammy

Postby Sammy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Some awesome suggestions here, thank you!

These are the kind of things you can't express enough on an RP site.
<center>

Fancy a drink? Drop by The Blue Planet - we're always open!
AtreusCore
Winston Churchill

Postby AtreusCore » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:16 pm

I have to agree with most of these, even though I've never--or almost never--liked any of the genres on advice number four, and I have two RPs that kind of surround my own character (even though on one of them it's DM NPC with more insight into its character, so I play it as a normal character until he's no longer needed).

Big thanks to Gid for the set! :D

Return to “Newbie Support Guild”