RPG Forums Online

Starting an RP

This guild is for all the new members to hang out and get to know the site. The mods and members are happy to help get you started in RPs and help you feel welcome on this site.

Moderators: Duisternis, Train_of_Thought, Shewolf13, Sammy

Wessicht
Layman
Layman

Starting an RP

Postby Wessicht » Fri May 31, 2013 12:09 am

Hello! I was wondering if any of the more experienced veterans of the site have any advice that I could use. I would like to start an RP, but am unsure as to the amount prepration that I will need to put into the campaign before I release the OoC thread.

Does anybody have any advice as to how much background/setting development I should undertake?

If, for example, I wanted to create a variety of maps to post in the the IIC, would such be possible? Or would that be overdoing it?

I'm thinking specifically, maybe a party of 4-5.

Thanks to everyone who gives advice! :D
Last edited by Wessicht on Fri May 31, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ninmast
Lil' Miss Martyr

Postby Ninmast » Fri May 31, 2013 12:37 am

It's certainly possible, but overdoing it depends on the setting. If it's just world maps and it's an original setting, that's more than fine. If, however, it's for dungeons, it may be counterproductive.
<center>Image</center>
Bedlam
Insanity Incarnate

Postby Bedlam » Fri May 31, 2013 12:47 am

Generally an overview of the world is good: the history, setting, and a general plot line. You can add more details if necessary, such as story specific races, places (like your maps), and creatures. In terms of laying out your world, I don't think there can really be such a thing as "too much".
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success." ~ Bruce Feirstein

"Insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."
darkling
Lord of dusk

Postby darkling » Fri May 31, 2013 12:51 am

That depends entirely on you. It all depends on your style.
Wessicht
Layman
Layman

Postby Wessicht » Fri May 31, 2013 1:50 am

Ok. I think I've got a good idea how to go about doing this. Thank you very much, everyone. Hopefully, I'll be able to get something together soon. :D
Shakey_Jake
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Shakey_Jake » Fri May 31, 2013 2:22 am

I'm no expert but I find the biggest initial headache to be bringing characters together seamlessly. If characters are all going to have a different starting point getting them all to meet is something that needs to be considered (Something I often put as a later issue only to to bitten by it later ha). As for detail I would say be broad but don't bombard, but as the people above pointed out it is all wrapped up in how you like to RP. Some people love lots of info others prefer a general overview.
FiFirefly
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby FiFirefly » Fri May 23, 2014 1:03 pm

I actually think that a good RP can come from very little planning at all. Sometimes it's good to get a few people involved, create a brief description of a setting and, through good descriptive posts, just see where the RP ends up! It becomes an RP that just creates itself. I think it's almost a shame when a preset plot is outlined and other people are basically writing your story for you. I think it can be great when people come together not knowing the outcome and see where it goes! I think these days RPing has become way too restrictive, elitist and predicted. When I first started years ago it was much more to do with someone starting a thread and the players themselves developing the plot just one post at a time. Not pre-written plots.

Maps and setting are cool though becuase obviously the first poster will need to BE somewhere!
Churches
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Churches » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:01 pm

I think there should be a clear goal or over-all agenda for the role play in order to keep every player on the same page as each other. A good structure/skeleton but still allows room for spontaneity and growth.
I think drawing up a map would be fun, and that way all players would have a better idea of where they stand in relationship to other players.
I like bunnies

Return to “Newbie Support Guild”